Pre-announcement of PhD positionThe Aspergillus Genetics Lab in the Department of Biology of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (http://scholar.uoa.gr/diallina) will offer a 3-year PhD position, fully covered financially by the “Stavros Niarchos Foundation” (800 euros/month net).Applications will open at the end of July. The selection procedure and interviews will take place by the end of October.The subject of research is "Mechanisms of membrane protein sorting and targeting".Expected starting date is the 1st December 2018Candidates must have a Greek Nationality and holdi) a MSc degree (grade >7.5) in Biology, orii) a BSc with a grade of at least 8.5, oriii) a BSc with a grade of at least 7.0 and be a main author of peer-reviwed article.Candidates should also have very good knowledge of English, at least one year research experience in Molecular Biology and/or Biochemistry, and good knowledge of bioinformatics.
- New article from our lab: Secretory Vesicle Polar Sorting, Endosome Recycling and Cytoskeleton Organization Require the AP-1 Complex in . Martzoukou O, Diallinas G, Amillis S. Genetics. 2018.
- New article from our lab. Evolution of substrate specificity in the Nucleobase-Ascorbate Transporter (NAT) protein family.
Kourkoulou A, Pittis AA, Diallinas G. Microb Cell. 2018 Mar 22;5(6):280-292.
- The PI of the lab, George Dialilnas, was elected EMBO member on the 14th of May 2018.
- New article of our lab: Pyle E, Kalli AC, Amillis S, Hall Z, Lau AM, Hanyaloglu AC, Diallinas G, Byrne B, Politis A. Structural Lipids Enable the Formation of Functional Oligomers of the Eukaryotic Purine Symporter UapA. Cell Chem Biol. 2018 Apr 10.
- New article from our lab in Fungal Biology and Genetics. Kalampokis IF, Kapetanakis GC, Aliferis KA, Diallinas G. Multiple nucleobase transporters contribute to boscalid sensitivity in Aspergillus nidulans.Fungal Genet Biol. 2018 Feb 28. pii: S1087-1845(18)30026-4.
- We are very happy that Fondation Sante (http://www.fondationsante.org/) will finance, via a competitive grant, for 2 years our research on membrane cargo traffic! Thank you Fulla & Spyros!
- New article from our lab just appears in Genetics:Papadaki GF, Amillis S, Diallinas G. Substrate Specificity of the FurE Transporter Is Determined by Cytoplasmic Terminal Domain Interactions. Genetics. 2017 Oct 4. pii: genetics.300327.2017. doi: 10.1534/genetics.117.300327
- Happy for Gabriel who finalized his excellent work in our lab (May-Augist 2017) and which is just published in JMB!
The α-arrestin Bul1p mediates lactate transporter endocytosis in response to alkalinization and distinct physiological signals. Talaia G, Gournas C, Saliba E, Barata-Antunes C, Casal M, André B, Diallinas G, Paiva S.J Mol Biol. 2017 Sep 28. pii: S0022-2836(17)30451-5.
- Congratulations to Olga (Martzoukou) for the IKY PhD scholarship she got for finilizing her excelent work of cargo traffcking and fungal polar growth!
- 55849/2017 ΠΡΟΚΗΡΥΞΗ ΥΠΟΤΡΟΦΙΩΝ ΓΙΑ ΥΠΟΨΗΦΙΟΥΣ ΔΙΔΑΚΤΟΡΕΣ στο πλαίσιο υλοποίησης του Έργου «Μηχανισμοί υποκυτταρικής διακίνησης μεμβρανικών πρωτεϊνών και σχέσεις δομής-λειτουργίας διαμεμβρανικών μεταφορέων»
55849/2017 ΠΡΟΚΗΡΥΞΗ ΥΠΟΤΡΟΦΙΩΝ ΓΙΑ ΥΠΟΨΗΦΙΟΥΣ ΔΙΔΑΚΤΟΡΕΣ στο πλαίσιο υλοποίησης του Έργου «Μηχανισμοί υποκυτταρικής διακίνησης μεμβρανικών πρωτεϊνών και σχέσεις δομής-λειτουργίας διαμεμβρανικών μεταφορέων» με Επιστημονικό Υπεύθυνο τον καθηγητή του Τμήματος Βιολογίας Γ. Διαλλινά, το οποίο θα χρηματοδοτηθεί αποκλειστικά από το Ίδρυμα Σταύρος Νιάρχος. Πληροφορίες: Καθ. Γ. Διαλλινάς, τηλ. 6974799929, 210-7274649; http://www.elke.uoa.gr/proc_persons_details.aspx?id=1772
- We are very glad to know that Minos Evangelinos, recent Ph.D. student of our lab, received a competitive FNRS postdoc research grant (“Chargé de recherche”) to join the excellent group of Prof. Bruno Andre at Université Libre de Bruxelles (Biopark, Gosselies)
- Two new undergradutes are joining in the lab, Jenny Kostoula & Vaggelis Bouris, welcome!
- New article from our lab just appears in Mol Microbiol:
NmeA, a novel efflux transporter specific for nucleobases and nucleosides, contributes to metal resistance in Aspergillus nidulans. Balaska S, Myrianthopoulos V, Tselika M, Hatzinikolaou DG, Mikros E, Diallinas G. Mol Microbiol. 2017 Aug;105(3):426-439.
- Amalia Zervakou joins the lab (officially) as a PhD student. Welcome Amalia.
- The lab welcomes two more research exchange Ph.D students! Laura Ramos from Cordoba (Spain) and Gabriel Rocha from Minho (Portugal). Both will stay until August.
March 15, 2017, good news for the lab! The “Stavros Niarchos Foundation” will finance generously two PhD scholarships (3-4 years) plus consumables, training through mobility and publication costs (200,000 euros in total). An open call to candidates is expected to appear after Easter holidays in the web sites of the University of Athens, the Biology Department and in the present web link of the lab.
- February 2017, a major new publication from our group in eLIFE: The AP-2 complex has a specialized clathrin-independent role in apical endocytosis and polar growth in fungi. Martzoukou O, Amillis S, Zervakou A, Christoforidis S, Diallinas G.Elife. 2017 Feb 21;6. pii: e20083. doi: 10.7554/eLife.20083 http://en.uoa.gr/news-and-events/display-news-item/the-molecular-mechani...
- October 2016, two new articles from our group in Molecular Microbiology & Bioorg Med Chem, see publication list
- The Smyte 34 meeting is just over and it seems that we all had an excellent time, both in science and in enjoying the good aspects of life (music, food, friendship, nature..). For his I want to thank the people of MAICH, the participants and the member of my lab. I already miss the atmosphere. Below find some photos of meeting:
- A review reflecting the exciting story of UapA just published inTIGs: Diallinas G. Dissection of Transporter Function: From Genetics to Structure. Trends Genet. 2016.
- Our work gets national publicity in Greece and the UK!
- More great news! Our work Alguel Y, Amillis S, Leung J, Lambrinidis G, Capaldi S, Scull NJ, Craven G, Iwata S, Armstrong A, Mikros E, Diallinas G, Cameron AD, Byrne B. Structure of eukaryotic purine/H(+) symporter UapA suggests a role for homodimerization in transport activit is now published in Nature Communications (18 April)
- New article from our group in Molecular Microbiology : BsdABsd2-dependent vacuolar turnover of a misfolded version of the UapA transporter along the secretory pathway: prominent role of selective autophagy” by Minoas Evangelinos, Olga Martzoukou Koar Chorozian, Sotiris Amillis and George Diallinas, 2016 In press (19 February).
- Great news! Our research won an extension of the grant of the Fondation Sante (http://www.fondationsante.org/
- Emilia joined The Roslin Institute (University of Edinburgh selected among 56 candidates..congratulations!
- Minoas has moved to the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) to work in the lab of Prof. R. Fischer and N. Tanaka for 1 year, through a DAAD Research Grant, to finish there his Ph.D thesis..
New article from our group in J Mol Biol.
Oligomerization of the UapA purine transporter is critical for ER-exit, plasma membrane localization and turnover Reference: YJMBI64766
Olga Martzoukou, Mayia Karachaliou, Vassilis Yalelis, James Leung, Bernadette Byrne,Sotiris Amillis& George Diallinas. J Mol Biol. 2015 Aug 14;427(16):2679-96New article from our group in FGB
Minos as a novel Tc1/mariner-type transposable element for functional genomic analysis in Aspergillus nidulans
by Minoas Evangelinos; Gerasimos Anagnostopoulos; Iliana Karvela - Kalogeraki; Panagiota M Stathopoulou; Claudio Scazzocchio & George Diallinas , Fungal Genet Biol. 2015 Aug;81:1-11
Jacob Bobonis was selected as a trainee for 4 months in LMB/MRC (Cambridge, UK) in the group of Ben Nichols/Vassilis Bitsikas. We wish him a successful beginning!
Great news! Our research won a grant support by the Fondation Sante (http://www.fondationsante.org/) - 6 march 2015
New article in JBC in collaboration with J. Thevelein's group in Leuven
Sul1 and Sul2 Sulfate Transceptors Signal to Protein Kinase A upon Exit of Sulfur Starvation.Kankipati HN, Rubio-Texeira M, Castermans D, Diallinas G, Thevelein JM. J Biol Chem. 2015 Apr 17;290(16):10430-46New article from our group in Molecular Microbiology
Krypotou E, Evangelidis T, Bobonis J, Pittis AA, Gabaldón T, Scazzocchio C, Mikros E, Diallinas G. Origin, diversification and substrate specificity in the family of NCS1/FUR transporters.Mol Microbiol. 2015 Jun;96(5):927-50